Love that Chaykin...


Howard Chaykin is at it again and I'm loving it.


I got to meet the iconic reputedly curmudgeon artist at last year's comic con in San Diego.  From the countless horror stories I've heard about the infamous writer / artist I held my heart deep in my chest as I saw him from across the hall.

His reputation was gruff, offensive, rude, and downright mean, but I had no personal qualms so I approached the juggernaught and stayed to the side as I overheard his conversation with another attendee.

When they other group left I had him to myself and was able to get to know the man.  We talked about oppression, depression, and he opened up with his personal thoughts about his own mother that would make Whistler start from scratch.  He got comfortable and I got to know him a little more than most I think.  

At the end of a really enticing and explorative conversation, he gave me his card and offered to keep in touch.

I tried reaching out for another conversation, but no response.  It if naturally happens, it'll happen, but for now, pushing it would be an error.

I saw this book that's on the shelves now and the image of the woman wearing an american burqa flag.  (See link above.)  The amount of people up in arms over this is enthralling, and reaffirms that art and stories sometimes need to challenge us.  They need to assert their own values unapologetically (as Chaykin can do) and show us other realities that may or may not have existed.  The power of art is that people take it as fact more often then headlines on twitter, because the visual statements can be more bold than text.

I support Chaykin on this and thank him for reminding me that his stories aren't real, but fiction disguised as propaganda, so that we can really get a fresh perspective at how extremism feels.

Thank you Chyakin.  Hope to see you in San Diego this year and catch up.

Ian J. Johnston  |  Founder Johnstone Pictures
ian@johnstonepictures.com  |  M: 801-592-1241






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Re: CROM and other ways to use profanity...

Hello fellow comic junkies! This week the book club brings one of last years brightest to the table! The VISION!